It is here! It’s time to share everything about Pixel Planner 2.0 with you! Our new digital planner versions were made after listening to your needs and wants. We love that they are truly customizable!
Watch Our Infomercial on Pixel Planner 2.0
00:00 – Intro
00:34 – What You Need to Plan Digitally
01:18 – What is a Pixel Planner?
02:00 – How to Purchase & Download a Pixel Planner
02:57 – Our Two Options for GoodNotes
03:41 – Non GoodNote Users Files
05:00 – Linking Your Cloud Storage Service to GoodNotes
05:53 – Importing GoodNotes Files After Downloading to Computer
06:34 – Importing GoodNotes Files After Downloading via iPad
07:39 – Which Planner to User Blank or With Inserts Embedded?
08:41 – Pixel Planner 2.0 Features
11:21 – How to Copy or Duplicate Pages in GoodNotes
2:35 – Join the Digital Library + Facebook Group
What is a Digital Planner?
A digital planner gives you all of the creativity you have with traditional paper planners, but digitally. If you have an iPad you can plan just like you would with paper planners.
That means you can have a cute looking planner binder, fun stickers, and write inside it with a stylus too!
How Do You Plan Digitally?
- You’re going to need a tablet, preferably an iPad. Other tablets may work. Just do your research.
- Make sure that you have a stylus so you can write in your planner. We love the Apple Pencil with the iPad Pro and 2018 iPad.
- Then, you’re going to need to install a note taking application. We recommend the GoodNotes app for iOS users (no we aren’t affiliates nor are we associated with that company, we just like the app the best.) Notability is a close second. If you have an Android device you’re going to want to do some research on what to use.
- Finally, purchase one of our Pixel Planners in our shoppe.
What are Pixel Planners?
When you use a note taking application on your iPad like GoodNotes you can also import documents and other files into it. Pixel Planners are files that you import into GoodNotes that we designed to look like traditional planners.
Pixel Planners are designed to give you the flexibility to customize your planner as much as you can with a digital planner.
We created our planners to have hyperlinked tabs so you can easily jump from section to section without having to scroll through the entire document.
You can rearrange pages inside the divider sections, add new pages and duplicate pages to your needs.
With Pixel Planners you have the ability to be just as creative as traditional crafty planning with our digital sticker files and other fun embellishments.
How Do I Purchase and Download a Pixel Planner?
After you decide which application to use on your iPad (again, we recommend GoodNotes) visit our shoppe at hollypixels.com. Once in the shoppe you can hover over the menu to the Pixel Planner section.
- Pick the planner color of your choice. We currently have five during this soft launch with more colors coming in the months ahead.
- Read the FULL description under the planner to make sure it meets your needs. We do indicate the file space needed so make sure your iPad can accommodate this before trying to download it.
- Complete your purchase and then you can download the files you need.
- At any time, you can access your past orders by logging into your account by going to the shoppe and looking up in the top right corner (you can reset your password if you don’t remember how to access your account).
- You’ll see that we provide multiple types of files and options for your purchase. You only need to download the files you wish to use. Look at the file title to the left of the link for what the file is.
If you use GoodNotes application, you’ll want to decide between the completely blank planner or the planner with inserts embedded into it. The choice is yours. These are GoodNotes optimized files. You do not need to unzip them. Download and install them as is.
Then you’ll want to download the GoodNotes file for the Inserts/Sticker Book. We have separated our stickers into its own book so you can use it as a sticker book for your other stickers or stickers that you’ve created yourself. It has a hyperlinked home button and you can duplicate the pages and change the book title, too. Plus, we have included the inserts for the completely blank planner as sticker files. They are cropped and transparent, ready to place in your blank planner as you wish.
Non GoodNotes Users
If you use another application for note taking on your iPad, you’ll find PDF versions of our completely blank planners and our planner with inserts embedded into it. You simply import these into your application as is. The tabs are hyperlinked.
You’ll also see that we have included a PDF version of our sticker book that is blank for your use. Finally, we have made our Inserts as PNG files that are zipped as well as our stickers that are zipped.
We recommend downloading your zip sticker and inserts files on your computer and then unzipping them and placing them on a cloud storage app like iCloud, DropBox or Google Drive to access them on our iPad faster. It can be cumbersome to unzip on the iPad but it’s possible. Look for our tutorial on the blog.
The Hex Codes
And, for all users, we have included a PDF instruction and hex code file. If you use an application like GoodNotes that allows you to enter color hex codes for your pens you will want these to match your planner.
Once again, download ONLY what you need!
So How Do You Install a Pixel Planner in GoodNotes?
The biggest misconception people have with the GoodNotes file is that because it has .zip after the filename is that they need to unzip it.
This isn’t true! It’s actually a .goodnotes.zip file. And that means once you download that file you import the file as is. No unzipping needed! In fact, if you do unzip it that usually gives you a messed up set of files that you can’t do anything with.
You can download the file via your computer and place it on a cloud service. Or you can download it directly on your iPad. Let’s talk about how to install via those two options.
Linking Cloud Storage
By linking a cloud storage to GoodNotes, you can quickly import and export documents from and to your cloud folder. It also enables you to activate an automatic backup which will keep copies of your files safe.
GoodNotes supports: Dropbox, Google Drive, Box and OneDrive
- To set up a linked storage option in GoodNotes, tap on the + icon in the main screen, then Import. You’ll see a section called “Not Linked Cloud Storages.” Choose one.
- You’ll need to login to that account to grant access.
- Then, in GoodNotes, look at the bottom right where the link for OPTIONS appears. Click it and choose Settings/General.
- Here you can activate the cloud storage accounts.
If You Download Via Your Computer
- You will need to unzip the files and then place them on your cloud service you can then move over to your iPad.
- Open up the GoodNotes application and choose the + icon at the top left of the category you wish to place your planner in.
- From here a pop up menu will let you choose IMPORT. Depending on what linked cloud storages you have setup, locate where your files are stored. We use Dropbox, so we would choose Dropbox for our option.
- In the next panel, locate the file in that storage area and click on it. This will automatically bring it into your GoodNotes application. Now you can start planning!
Install After Downloading Via Your iPad
We recommend going to your shoppe account and clicking on the download links from your order there. Sometimes we do update our files and we cannot update links that go out in emails (which we note in the product descriptions and mention on social media). This is a guaranteed way to get the most updated files. But if you don’t have that option, you can still do it via your iPad.
- When you click on the download link for the GoodNotes planner, it will open up in your browser and probably show something like, File Can’t Be Previewed. If you have the DropBox app it may open through here as a preview to show the file.
- No you don’t need Dropbox. We host our files in our account and giving you the download link.
- Don’t worry if it shows that message. You’re still on the right path!
- With the file selected look at the top right of your iPad screen for the three dots (ellipsis). Click it and choose “EXPORT” from the pop out menu.
In the next pop out menu choose OPEN IN. This will give you another pop out menu where you have the opportunity to choose which application to open the file in, in this case we choose GoodNotes.
- This will then go into the GoodNotes application where you can get started.
Pixel Planner Overview
As we mentioned, our planners come in two options, completely blank and with inserts already embedded.
So which one should you use?
The blank planner allows you to place files inside it that you create or download that we offer in our shoppe, or that you might have from another designer.
The blank planner lets you use it in any way you want.
There are some cons to this method, however.
For example, when working in GoodNotes, when placing our month calendar Inserts PNG file into the blank planner you might run into some selection issues. Let’s say you start adding stickers and other things to your month calendar, there is no way to lock down the calendar only in the GoodNotes application. Therefore, selecting and moving the images (or stickers) means it will select the calendar in the background. That can be a pain.
So maybe this doesn’t bother you. Great!
But if it does, we also offer a planner option that has these inserts already embedded into the pages and they cannot be moved around. You can add stickers and notes and move those without it affecting the selection of them.
Use the option of your planner purchase that meets your needs.
Editable Top Tabs
In the GoodNotes versions of our planners, you’ll see that we setup the top tabs of our planners to have editable text. You can make these tabs your own!
You’re going to want to press-hold on the text to change it. Do this on the first open page of your planner before you start duplicating spreads in your planner.
This means you’ll have to paste the top tab text fields fewer times.
Then, make sure that TEXT is chosen on your selection tool and the rest are turned off. Select the text fields and press to copy. Now paste them on the other pages.
While we wish we could have made our month tabs editable, there is no way to rotate text in GoodNotes at this time.
The Inserts/Sticker Book
In the Inserts/Sticker Book for Goodnotes you’ll see that we have all of the inserts that match your planner as PNG files. Select them just like stickers and copy and paste them into your blank planner. Some of these even have editable text fields!
To select stickers from the GoodNotes Inserts/Sticker Book, make sure IMAGES is turned on in your selection tool and the rest are turned off. Then, do a rough selection around or inside our sticker choice. Press for copy and then go to your Pixel Planner. Locate where you want to place the sticker. Press and hold for the paste option. You can also resize via the corners.
You can also click off of the sticker to deselect it and then press on it again to choose other options like resizing or cropping.
When copying our Month and Week Inserts Stickers, you have the option to also copy over the editable text fields. Just make sure you have chosen IMAGES and TEXT in the selection tool. Then select the entire calendar to include the text field.
Now you can press and hold on those text fields to edit them.
But, if you want to use stickers, simply only select IMAGES.
We truly wanted to make a planner to meet many needs. So providing you with multiple options was a must for us!
Why Our Inserts are Blank
When creating our planners, we wanted to make sure we could give you a smaller file size to download. Depending on your device, downloading a large file can be cumbersome. The beauty of digital is you can duplicate pages and add items to them as you need them.
Our month and weekly calendars are blank because so many users like their weeks to start and stop on different days. Some prefer a Sunday start while other a Monday start. This way you can set it up however you wish.
Plus, you can reuse the planner year after year if you like!
And, we made sure our hyperlinks ONLY go to the divider so anything you move inside it doesn’t mess up those hyperlinks.
Duplicating & Trashing Pages
So how do you duplicate or copy pages in the planner or maybe even trash them? It’s super simple and we’re going to show you in GoodNotes as that’s our preferred application for our Pixel Planners.
- Open up your planner.
- Then, click on the thumbnails icon in the upper left corner.
- Click EDIT and then locate the page you want to duplicate (or delete).
- You can click TRASH at the top if you want to get rid of it, or to COPY, look at the bottom left corner and choose that option.
- After it’s done copying, click on DONE.
- Now, click on the + Icon in the thumbnails panel. Notice that you have new + icons before and after each page? Click where you want to place the copied page by pressing the + icon location.
- When the pop-up menu appears choose “Paste Copied Pages” and then DONE to close out.
If you mess up your planner, the good news is that you can log back into your shoppe account and re-download your files at any time. Just look for instructions at the beginning of this video.
Just a word of warning, with our Pixel Planners you don’t want to delete or rearrange the actual tabs/dividers. Those are what are hyperlinked and if you move them or delete them you will lose the ability to jump to the correct sections. Only move what’s inside the dividers.
Using Your Pixel Planner
Now you can start getting super creative with your Pixel Planner.
Use the pen tool to write in important reminders.
Add stickers from our shoppe to make your planner spreads look pretty.
Join our Digital Planning Library to get free files for your planners.
And, watch our blog for tutorials on how to do other things with your planner including seeing how our Pixel Planners Ambassadors use our monthly sticker sets in the shoppe. Let them inspire you!
Once you’re in the Digital Planning Library you can also request to join our Facebook Group where you can get help and share your planner spreads with the rest of our community.
Have fun with your new Pixel Planner and thanks for supporting us and helping us build a better digital planner!