Unboxing the New iPad Pro 12.9 Inch | Watch How I Set It Up
I just got the new iPad Pro 12.9 inch model and I wanted to take you through the unboxing of the new iPad Pro and how I set it up. In this video I will show you!
I purchased this model the day they announced them. I did purchase:
- 12.9 inch, 256 GB
- WiFi version
- Silver. I was disappointed they didn’t have the white/gold version. Bummer!
Watch Me Unbox the New iPad Pro 12.9 Inch
TIPS: if you have a lot of Procreate files created inside Procreate, back them up and delete them from your iPad. The restore will take FOREVER if you try and move lots of them over. You can also do the install via iTunes which might be quicker for you as well. I ended up moving my Procreate groups/stacks to DropBox and removing them from my iPad. Things went a lot faster for me. You still have to import them back into Procreate but I looked at it like a way to clean up things in Procreate and get rid of things on my iPad I didn’t need.
FYI: I did order the new Apple Pencil because I forgot that you can’t pair the old one to it! Duh. I don’t know why I didn’t cover that, but as always, I keep it real here! So when I get it in I’ll let you know how that goes! I used my trusty Best Buy rewards points to help cover the cost! I really hope Apple will allow those with older Apple Pencils use it with the new one. They always want our damn money!
What You Get with the New iPad Pro
- Liquid Retina display
- 12.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi‑Touch display with IPS technology
- 2732-by-2048-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
- ProMotion technology
- Wide color display (P3)
- True Tone display
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Fully laminated display
- Antireflective coating
- 1.8% reflectivity
- 600 nits brightness
- A12X Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture
- Neural Engine
- Embedded M12 coprocessor
This camera is set up similar to the iPhone Xs with its portrait mode features! LOVE THIS!
- 12-megapixel camera
- ƒ/1.8 aperture
- Digital zoom up to 5x
- Five‑element lens
- Quad-LED True Tone flash
- Panorama (up to 63 megapixels)
- Sapphire crystal lens cover
- Backside illumination sensor
- Hybrid IR filter
- Autofocus with Focus Pixels
- Tap to focus with Focus Pixels
- Live Photos with stabilization
- Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos
- Improved local tone mapping
- Exposure control
- Noise reduction
- Smart HDR for photos
- Auto image stabilization
- Burst mode
- Timer mode
- Photo geotagging
- Image formats captured: HEIF and JPEG
There are so many more features, you should check out. The new option for the Apple Pencil magnetizes to the side of your iPad Pro and charges! I didn’t get one yet because I have two already. And, I didn’t know if my grip would still allow it to magnetize to the side of the tablet. Can you tell me if yours does?
Pros & Cons
- Pro – feels more compact in my hands now compared to the older 12.9 with less device area.
- Pro – new Apple Pencil has the tap feature for switching between the erase and brush tools in Procreate
- Con – different charging port so I need a new, longer cable for those times a longer cable is nice
- Con – the old grip I used on my Apple Pencil doesn’t work/fit
Do You Need to Upgrade?
No, I don’t think so. Unless you are on a Gen 1 machine and your machine is showing wear and tear and sluggishness, then you aren’t missing out on much.
I’m super impressed with the size. I love my larger iPad Pro – I can’t imagine drawing on something smaller – and I love that they made it smaller without taking away from the screen area. Overall, I’m impressed with this model. As I use it over time I’m sure I’ll have more input.
I hope you enjoyed watching this video!
Affiliate Links Disclosure
This post may contain affiliate links noted with an asterisk*, which means that if you click on one of the product links I’ve included, I’ll receive a small percentage of the sale should you purchase it.